[Ukfreebsd] Upgrade overwrites /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group

Jonathan Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Sat Mar 10 13:13:16 GMT 2018

Last month I acquired a server, replaced a dead mirror disk and started to learn ZFS.

I also took snapshots.

Yesterday afternoon I set about using freebsd-update to move from 11.0 to 11.1 .

I rebooted after the kernel update and that was fine but after the reboot after the userland update things were not fine at all and colleague onsite reported root login without password.

Now I have visited in person I found that somehow /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group got replaced with stock ones.

Luckily retrieving them from my @2nd-February snapshots was trivial but I cannot work out what went wrong. Nor did the update keep my versions of these files before deciding to replace them.

Does this problem ring any bells ? Could I have mis-used freebsd-update to make it do this ? It was $ r302539 2016-07-11 04:50:32Z delphij $

Given the oldest thing in /etc is opiekeys dated May 2014 I think the machine must have been built with 10.0 but was 11.0 by the time I got my paws on it.

While trying and failing to reproduce the problem in a virtual machine I found that some, possibly most update servers are non-functional. For example http://update2.freebsd.org/to-11.0-RELEASE/ . I assume http is the normal access method. Please could these mirrors be fixed removed.

Jon