[Ukfreebsd] Confused by ZFS root(s)

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Mon Feb 5 13:00:30 GMT 2018

On 05/02/2018 12:23, David Chisnall wrote:
>> 2) Why might my virtual machine not mount the important one zoot/ROOT/default ?
>
> Do you already have something mounted at /?

I mean having booted off memstick in my virtual machine when I do

# zpool import zroot -fR /tmp/mnt

the main root guts does not get mounted and I have to

# zfs mount zroot/ROOT/default

to get it. Whereas when I broke into the actual server I didn't have
this issue. Clearly there is a difference and the main server seems to
have been built mid 2014 but it too has a zroot/ROOT/default and I would
like to understand the difference.

Jon