[Ukfreebsd] Confused by ZFS root(s)

David Chisnall theraven at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 5 12:23:26 GMT 2018

On 5 Feb 2018, at 11:19, Jon Schneider <jon at axismilton.ltd.uk> wrote:

> So 1) What are these extra (filesystem) roots about apart from confusing me ?

These exist to support boot environments.  Boot environments let you install a new version into a separate ZFS volume and switch the root over to that for testing, then switch back if you discover that it’s broken.  I think the GPT ZFS boot loader is now BE-aware, so you can configure it with different possible roots.

> 2) Why might my virtual machine not mount the important one zoot/ROOT/default ?

Do you already have something mounted at /?

David