[Ukfreebsd] Recommendations for a PCI-e soundcard?

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 09:23:52 GMT 2017

I've long used FreeBSD as a desktop OS as well as for servers & firewalls,
etc and I've now started using a Dell Poweredge T710 tower server as a
desktop PC as it's fast with lots of memory & storage. But it has no PCI
slots, only PCI-e so I can't use tried & tested PCI bus sound cards in this
machine which are known to be supported by FreeBSD.

I'm thinking of buying the Creative Audigy RX 7.1 as it seems to be based
on a revised version of the EMU10k2 chipset which I use under FreeBSD on
PCI-bus systems and won't be an expensive flop if I can't get it to work
under BSD (I can put it into a Linux box instead). But before doing so I
thought I'd ask here first in case someone has already got a PCI-e sound
card working under FreeBSD. Does anyone have any recommendations? By the
way, the card has to be a PCI-e x1 type as all the free slots are x1 (the
single x16 slot is already filled with a nVidia graphics card).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Andy

Andy Thomas,
Time Domain Systems