[Ukfreebsd] setting PICKY_HELO_CHECK with sendmail in base

Glyn Grinstead glyn at uk.freebsd.org
Mon Sep 28 17:27:56 BST 2015

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 at 16:23:52 +0100, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> Any reason why the sendmail in base can't be used instead? the
> functionality is present in that version, all it requires is the
> necessary build flag.

I think you should be able to add:

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-DPICKY_HELO_CHECK

to /etc/make.conf

then

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
make clean && make depend && make && make install
(or rebuild world according to preference)

But watch out for future upgrades if you do. If you build from source you
should be fine, but anything else may well revert to the original.

Note I haven't tested this properly, but if I stop short of a make install
then:

/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/sendmail -d0.1 -bv root

gives:

Version 8.15.2
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PICKY_HELO_CHECK
                PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG

Which looks hopeful.

Glyn.