[Ukfreebsd] Talks instead of pub meets

Sue Spence virtuallysue at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:39:58 BST 2015

On 17 June 2015 at 14:33, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 01:31:59PM +0100, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>
> > Following on from talks at BSDCan on BUGs I was thinking about the
> > feasibility of holding talks (monthly or bi-monthly) instead of just
> > meeting up at the pub.
> >
> > Switching away from just a drinking club with a *BSD problem. There's
> > enough of us playing around with stuff that it could be feasible.
> > Maybe as a one off again to test?
>
> London Perl Mongers - another drinking club with an IT-ish problem - has
> monthly boozing, and then roughly quarterly tech meets.  It's a format
> that works well. The next tech meet is the 13th of August IIRC.
>
> London.pm also has occasional hack days, at which non-perl hacking is
> welcome.

London.pm has tried holding bi-monthly tech meets in the past, but found it
was difficult to sustain that for very long.  It doesn't take very long
before you run out of speakers, talks time to organise things, etc.   I
have been to a few Milton Keynes PM social meetings in the past, and I
liked that they used the same roomy Wetherspoons pub every time and
combined with the local LUG. People with something interesting to show just
brought it to the meeting with them.

London PM hack days are bimonthly, since the London Hackspace calendar is
open enough for me to do that (so far).  Non-Perl hacking is  perfectly
fine, as Dave says. So far my only rule is that everyone attending is
reasonably supportive of whatever anyone else is doing, and it hasn't been
a problem.

The August London PM tech meet is going to be something of a practice round
for the European Perl conference. How about a BSD-themed Perl tech meeting
after that?  I'd probably try to have this in the autumn (Oct/Nov).

Check http://london.pm.org to see/subscribe to our calendar. I use a meetup
group to announce events as well: http://www.meetup.com/London-Perl-Mongers/