[Ukfreebsd] uname -r issue

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 15:23:52 BST 2015

On 18 June 2015 at 14:51, O'Connor, Kevin
<KevinO'Connor at merseyfire.gov.uk> wrote:
> This is more of an annoyance than a technical issue but after a freebsd-update fetch install and several reboots uname -a is still reporting the previous build number on 10.1 release.
> According to the handbook uname -a gets it's information from /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh.
> I've checked the file and it does indeed list it as RELEASE-p13 but uname -r is still showing p10
>
> Anyone have an idea why the file is not getting read correctly, permissions are fine, or where the incorrect information is coming from?  Having to parse the file newvers.sh on every server would be a bit of a pain.
>
> Regards
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,
uname gets its information from sysctl, newvers.sh is used when
rolling a new kernel.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/uname/uname.c?revision=256557&view=markup
Are you using a custom kernel?
Have you rebooted since updating?
What does dmesg or the contents of /var/run/dmesg.boot say the kernel
version is?

Sevan