[Ukfreebsd] Filesystem behaviour on filling

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Fri Jun 12 11:44:38 BST 2015

On 11 June 2015 at 16:47, Jon Schneider <jon at axismilton.ltd.uk> wrote:
>> Have you tried experimenting with the different controller settings /
>> type for the VM to see if that makes a difference? (you shouldn't need
>> to because the template should set an optimum setting but for the sake
>> of testing...)
>
> There's only AHCI for SATA and FreeBSD sees an ICH8M. It feels like a
> filesystem rather than block driver issue to me but I don't have a spare
> real (or differently virtualised) machine to try it on.

Well on digital ocean it took 4 minuets to run, filling the 20GB SSD on a fresh
machine (you can get free credit with code freebsdnow to test it yourself).

Yes, emulated hardware is often quite bad; changing the driver may help.
PV Xen is much better than emulated hw, and I believe it is now supported
with FreeBSD if you are using a Linux or NetBSD host,  or try the new Xhyve
if it is osx, which uses virtio drivers.

Justin