[Ukfreebsd] Filesystem doesn't recover

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Tue Sep 10 11:23:18 BST 2013

I've been tinkering with a Virtualbox 9.1 installation and quite by
accident found I can upset the filesystem somewhat. At some point I
decided not to install ports just yet or to blow the tree away in possible
preparation for an ova export and move to a real machine. I rm -rf
/usr/ports but presumably as the host was a bit slow due to me doing other
things something timed out and the guest 9.1 installation died producing a
crashdump.

Now that's sort of acceptable though I have to question why other unixen
beginning with L running on the same host don't fail in the same way.

The thing I have a problem with is on rebooting the guest the (UFS)
filesystem isn't corrected despite it knowing it didn't go down cleanly.
The only thing I can do to tidy things is remount ro and fsck manually.
Isn't this a bug ? I have done this twice.  Granted things went bad under
unusual conditions but doesn't give me a warm feeling that a robust system
can be made.

(I say it isn't clean because there is an undead directory and if I try to
finish the rm job I get something like "rm: devel: Bad file descriptor")

On an unrelated note would anybody in or near Cambridge be interested in a
another irregular pub evening ?

Jon