[Ukfreebsd] New Syslog server suggestions

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Mon May 13 23:01:04 BST 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 09:33:32AM +0100, Simon Dick wrote:
> We actually have a Splunk licence here and are running it on FreeBSD, after
> the first year management were hesitant about renewing, but then recently
> we had cause to demonstrate just how useful it can be to diagnose problems
> and even alert on them that they had a complete rethink and are renewing
> (albeit at a more reasonable bandwidth amount!).

Interesting. Do you mind sharing roughly how much data you're pushing
into it and what they charge for that?

I assume you're using UFS? Last time I tried Splunk on FreeBSD it was on
a ZFS system and Splunk just wouldn't work - I've a feeling it didn't
find any filesystems! I ended up creating a zvol, newfsing that and
mounting it in /usr/local/splunk :-)

James