[Ukfreebsd] New Syslog server suggestions

Simon Dick simond at irrelevant.org
Mon May 13 09:33:32 BST 2013

On 11 May 2013 17:15, James O'Gorman <james at netinertia.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 08:05:32PM +0400, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> > On 11/05/2013 18:47, Mark Blackman wrote:
> > > I've seen global megabanks quail at the cost of an Enterprise Splunk
> Licence.
> >
> > Worse than oracle licensing?
>
> Sadly, yes. Oracle is a necessary evil as its products make the business
> *function*, whereas monitoring is often overlooked by management so
> expensive things like Splunk are generally laughed at.
>
> I'm curious how much business they actually do. Most people I've spoken
> to really want Splunk but really can't justify their ridiculous pricing.
> OTOH, many people seem to be doing well with Logstash.

We actually have a Splunk licence here and are running it on FreeBSD, after
the first year management were hesitant about renewing, but then recently
we had cause to demonstrate just how useful it can be to diagnose problems
and even alert on them that they had a complete rethink and are renewing
(albeit at a more reasonable bandwidth amount!).