[Ukfreebsd] Error code 1

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Thu May 31 23:31:31 BST 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 09:48:53PM +0100, Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 31 May 2012, at 21:38, M B Richards wrote:
>
> > My thanks to those who took time to reply.
> >
> > Here's the link of debug output as requested.
> >

> > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3kJPWpHvqIBdTJsRnN4elNla0E/edit
> >

> Shared object "libpcre.so.0" not found, required by "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0"
>
> is the real problem. Error code 1 in this context just means that the build failed,
> but you have to look up the screen a bit to see the libpcre.so.0 problem.
>
> So, it sounds like that port has a silent dependency on libpcre, or on a different
> version.

I've come across this a few times when I've updated my Ports tree and
accidentally upgraded PCRE but not its dependencies.

> I'd see about bunging in libpcre port with the correct version (source or binary)
>
> or just installing it as libgtk-x11 as a binary package and let that manage the dependencies for you.
>
> "sudo pkg_add -rv libgtk-x11" or similar
>
> Ideally, you find out why the libgtk-x11 didn't correctly note the dependency, patch it
> and submit to the port maintainer.
>
> Possibly, the error above is well known (try googling it) and there's a simple fix
> already.

The way I fixed it was to use ports-mgmt/portmaster to recompile
everything that depends on libpcre:

  # portmaster -r libpcre

Once everything is compiled against the correct version of libpcre it
should be OK.

On a related note, if you're compiling ports rather than using packages
it's probably better to use a tool like portmaster. And also remember to
read UPDATING before updating things :-)

James