[Ukfreebsd] Error code 1

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 12:15:05 BST 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 10:47:24AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 01/06/2012 10:02, James O'Gorman wrote:
> > And likewise I'm a port maintainer, so I suspect I might start
> > refactoring my ports to have slave ports (and therefore multiple binary
> > packages) rather than using WITH_/WITHOUT_ knobs.
>
> That may not be the right way to do things in the bright new pkgng
> world.  One of the big ideas in pkgng is to produce several packages
> from one port.  The baseline will be to produce separate docs and
> examples packages, but clearly this idea extends to such things as a
> separate dev packages (static libraries, header files, profiled
> libraries) and also dividing up the compiled port contents into separate
> chunks.
>
> So, for instance, if you go to build lang/php5 it would enable building
> not just the php-cli binaries (as is the current default) but also
> php-fpm and mod_php -- but those would be packaged separately, and can
> be installed as desired.  Apparently this obviates a very large chunk of
> the need for using OPTIONS at all, and it means eg. no need for separate
> mysqlXX-server and mysqlXX-client ports.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying, Matthew. Is this feature actively
being worked on or is it still just an idea for a future release? It
does seem to somewhat negate the recent OPTIONS work that's gone in.

It'd be good if we can get rid of slave ports and have these automatic
extra feature packages though.

James