[Ukfreebsd] Error code 1

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 10:02:13 BST 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 09:53:58AM +0100, Robert N. M. Watson wrote:
> The good news is that pkgng (http://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng) should
> make living simply on pre-compiled binary packages much easier in the
> near future. It's in testing now and I've had pretty good experiences
> with it thus far. It will take a bit for port maintainers to get used
> to binary packages really being a first-class citizen, I suspect, but
> a dramatic improvement from most perspectives even before that
> happens.

I'm really looking forward to pkgng, although haven't had a chance to
test it yet. It's definitely easier (and more time effective) to work
from binary packages. I ran a tinderbox for a while but my various
rented servers and VPSes are somewhat heterogenous (mix of machines from
8.0 through to 9.0) so I've not kept my tinderbox up to date. Hopefully
being able to easily use the precompiled packages built by the ports
build cluster will help.

And likewise I'm a port maintainer, so I suspect I might start
refactoring my ports to have slave ports (and therefore multiple binary
packages) rather than using WITH_/WITHOUT_ knobs.

James