[Ukfreebsd] Error code 1

Robert N. M. Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 1 09:53:58 BST 2012

On 1 Jun 2012, at 09:40, Christopher Dawkins wrote:

> I had just this problem three weeks ago, and spent a fortnight recompiling and recompiling (and recompiling). My machine takes nine hours to do OpenOffice, and then there's KDE. I used portmaster when portupgrade didn't work and vice versa: I frequently had to dive into the relevant port and make deinstall and reinstall, I cleaned randomly, I fought pkg_delete and pkgdb -F. The most annoying things were the many times portupgrade (or master) stopped saying 'xx-0-3 cannot be installed because xx-0-2 is in the same place' and I had to shout at it "You know what's needed, you've just told me what to do, I'm providing the electricity, why can't you do it yourself you lazy machine?".

The good news is that pkgng (http://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng) should make living simply on pre-compiled binary packages much easier in the near future. It's in testing now and I've had pretty good experiences with it thus far. It will take a bit for port maintainers to get used to binary packages really being a first-class citizen, I suspect, but a dramatic improvement from most perspectives even before that happens.

Robert