[Ukfreebsd] Error code 1

Christopher Dawkins cchd at felsted.essex.sch.uk
Fri Jun 1 09:40:15 BST 2012

> I've come across this a few times when I've updated my Ports tree and
> accidentally upgraded PCRE but not its dependencies.
>
>  # portmaster -r libpcre
>
> Once everything is compiled against the correct version of libpcre it
> should be OK.
>
> On a related note, if you're compiling ports rather than using packages
> it's probably better to use a tool like portmaster. And also remember to
> read UPDATING before updating things :-)

I had just this problem three weeks ago, and spent a fortnight recompiling
and recompiling (and recompiling). My machine takes nine hours to do
OpenOffice, and then there's KDE. I used portmaster when portupgrade
didn't work and vice versa: I frequently had to dive into the relevant
port and make deinstall and reinstall, I cleaned randomly, I fought
pkg_delete and pkgdb -F. The most annoying things were the many times
portupgrade (or master) stopped saying 'xx-0-3 cannot be installed because
xx-0-2 is in the same place' and I had to shout at it "You know what's
needed, you've just told me what to do, I'm providing the electricity, why
can't you do it yourself you lazy machine?".

It will work out eventually, though I have a new USB problem. And I have
to use sftp instead of fish, because fish will now not transfer more than
32K bytes.

--
Christopher Dawkins                    FreeBSD9, KDE4.7.4
   Archivist, Felsted School            http://archives.felsted.org