[Ukfreebsd] Disabling hyperthreading on Intel CPUs

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 09:33:12 GMT 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Mark Blackman wrote:

> I think you sent this to more lists than you meant to. :)
>
> Out of curiousity, why does one turn off HT?

Oops, sorry (still recovering from Burn's night). I want to disable HT
because it can impact performance when used to execute code compiled for
parallel execution across multiple PCs. It can be disabled in the BIOS but
these machines run Windows during the daytime and some users complain if
they suspect HT is switched off. Being able to disable it at runtime when
these machine boot FBSD at night would be great.

Andy