[Ukfreebsd] nice little storage server for 112GBP

Daniel Austin daniel at kewlio.net
Wed Jan 12 13:51:32 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 12/01/2011 13:47, Jonathan Belson wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 11:59, Daniel Austin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 12/01/2011 09:54, Jonathan Belson wrote:
>>> Has anyone got any zfs RAIDZ benchmarks to share? I'm quite interested
>>> in getting one of these to replace my Dell PowerEdge SC440 (cost me
>>> 99GBP direct from Dell!) due to the reduced size/noise/power and extra
>>> drive bays, but I was concerned the slower CPU might affect performance.
>>> It would mainly get used as an SMB file store and IMAP server.
>>
>> Using 4 x Hitachi 2TB SATA2 drives here, raidz1 (boot/root).
>>
>> 55326102 bytes/sec write
>> 263562063 bytes/sec read
>>
>> (sequential access)
>
> That's a pretty impressive read speed...was that using dd? What command
> options were you using?

dd if=/dev/zero of=test.txt bs=1m count=8192

dd if=/test.txt of=/dev/null bs=1m

(reboot between write and read to ensure no caching in BSD)

I used 8GB of data to ensure caching would have minimal effect (system
ram is only 1GB in there)

>> I use mine as a media streaming server (freebsd 8.2-prerelease, 1gb
>> ram, tuned
>> zfs, samba 3.4)
>>
>> Compiled a custom kernel, turn on device polling for the network (made
>> a big
>> difference to cpu usage during high speed transfers from the network),
>> installed
>> ZFS using my instructions on:
>>
>> https://www.dan.me.uk/blog/2010/02/08/booting-from-zfs-raid0156-in-freebsd/
>>

>> except I turned compression off (less cpu usage then) and did
>> everything as
>> single partition.
>
> So you created a single /usr rather than separate /usr/, /usr/home,
> /usr/ports etc as described on your blog? Are there any advantages to
> creating separate file systems with zfs? With my current server I just
> have a /usr/ and /var (plus a few storage directories).

I created 'zroot' and mounted it legacy (so "/") with no sub-partitions.
As I use it for a storage server, I don't need to set any options on
partitions in the base system.  My blog has lots of separate ones as it
changes setuid/exec/compression on various parts of the filesystem
structure.  I skipped all this as no need on my machine.

I created zroot/shares afterwards and put all my share partitions inside
that with appropriate refquota/exec/setuid etc.

Thanks,

Dan.