[Ukfreebsd] nice little storage server for 112GBP

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Wed Jan 12 13:47:53 GMT 2011

On 12/01/2011 11:59, Daniel Austin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/01/2011 09:54, Jonathan Belson wrote:
>> Has anyone got any zfs RAIDZ benchmarks to share? I'm quite interested
>> in getting one of these to replace my Dell PowerEdge SC440 (cost me
>> 99GBP direct from Dell!) due to the reduced size/noise/power and extra
>> drive bays, but I was concerned the slower CPU might affect performance.
>> It would mainly get used as an SMB file store and IMAP server.
>
> Using 4 x Hitachi 2TB SATA2 drives here, raidz1 (boot/root).
>
> 55326102 bytes/sec write
> 263562063 bytes/sec read
>
> (sequential access)

That's a pretty impressive read speed...was that using dd?  What command options
were you using?

> I use mine as a media streaming server (freebsd 8.2-prerelease, 1gb ram, tuned
> zfs, samba 3.4)
>
> Compiled a custom kernel, turn on device polling for the network (made a big
> difference to cpu usage during high speed transfers from the network), installed
> ZFS using my instructions on:
>
> https://www.dan.me.uk/blog/2010/02/08/booting-from-zfs-raid0156-in-freebsd/
>
> except I turned compression off (less cpu usage then) and did everything as
> single partition.

So you created a single /usr rather than separate /usr/, /usr/home, /usr/ports
etc as described on your blog?  Are there any advantages to creating separate
file systems with zfs?  With my current server I just have a /usr/ and /var
(plus a few storage directories).

Cheers,

--Jon