[Ukfreebsd] nice little storage server for 112GBP

Daniel Austin daniel at kewlio.net
Wed Jan 12 11:59:36 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 12/01/2011 09:54, Jonathan Belson wrote:
> Has anyone got any zfs RAIDZ benchmarks to share? I'm quite interested
> in getting one of these to replace my Dell PowerEdge SC440 (cost me
> 99GBP direct from Dell!) due to the reduced size/noise/power and extra
> drive bays, but I was concerned the slower CPU might affect performance.
> It would mainly get used as an SMB file store and IMAP server.

Using 4 x Hitachi 2TB SATA2 drives here, raidz1 (boot/root).

55326102 bytes/sec write
263562063 bytes/sec read

(sequential access)

I use mine as a media streaming server (freebsd 8.2-prerelease, 1gb ram,
tuned zfs, samba 3.4)

Compiled a custom kernel, turn on device polling for the network (made a
big difference to cpu usage during high speed transfers from the
network), installed ZFS using my instructions on:

https://www.dan.me.uk/blog/2010/02/08/booting-from-zfs-raid0156-in-freebsd/

except I turned compression off (less cpu usage then) and did everything
as single partition.

Even when doing a 'zpool scrub', still over 30% cpu available.
Took 6 hours to do a zpool scrub on 5TB of data.

What I was impressed with was the hard drive temperatures remained
steady at 35C - usually during a scrub on servers, I see the disks
increase in temperature quite a bit.

I can playback full 1080p content over the network happily - very
pleased with the server overall - might get another!

 From the network, FTP and Samba writes data at around 30MB/sec (give or
take.. 300mbps) - plenty enough for streaming and backups.

for info, my /boot/loader.conf:

vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot"
vm.kmem_size="330M"
vm.kmem_size_max="330M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="80M"
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="5M"

opensolaris_load="YES"
zfs_load="YES"
drm_load="YES"
radeon_load="YES"
accf_data_load="YES"
accf_dns_load="YES"
accf_http_load="YES"
amdtemp_load="YES"

my /etc/sysctl.conf:

security.bsd.see_other_uids=0
net.inet.ip.random_id=1
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65536
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65536
net.inet.icmp.icmplim=2000
kern.maxfiles=32768
kern.maxfilesperproc=8192
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1
kern.maxvnodes=200000
net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen=512

my additions to kernel config:

device          snp

options         DEVICE_POLLING

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=1000
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE

options         HZ=1000

options         QUOTA

options         DEADLKRES

and my ifconfig line in /etc/rc.conf has "polling" added to turn on
device polling.

Thanks,

Dan.