[Ukfreebsd] "green" HDDs

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 11 22:08:55 GMT 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:51:12 +0000
Frank Shute <frank at shute.org.uk> wrote:

> I agree with your analysis. I can't see the point of these HDDs. HDDs
> are slow at the best of times; one that turns itself off after 8s of
> inactivity sounds like a nightmare, and if you turn off that mode then
> you've defeated any possible power saving. A power saving that's
> pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I have one of these in a dual-dock, side by side with an otherwise
similar conventional drive. What's really striking is the temperature
difference. One is hot to the touch, the other never feels like it's
turned-on.

IIRC the manufacturers claim that this makes them more reliable,
although I imagine they cut corners elsewhere to even things up.