[Ukfreebsd] "green" HDDs

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Jan 11 12:08:56 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 05:09:51PM +0000, dgmm wrote:

> Has anyone used any of the so called "green" or "eco" HDDs?

Yes.  I have four of 'em, in two WD Mybook Studio II external Firewire
cases.

> Anyway, getting back to the main point, I've come across a few comments in
> various places suggesting the "green" or "eco" HDDs might have some problems
> in RAID(z) configs due to possible spin down/up and/or showing as not
> avalable at inconvenient times.

Mine are attached to my home fileserver.  There's only one user (me) and
they're hanging off a Mac G4 Cube running OS X 10.4.  They "just work".
Whether they give you any problems would presumably be down to your OS
and drivers.

A drive that has spun down to save energy but which will come back to
life on demand should still show up as being available to the OS.  If it
doesn't, that's a fairly serious bug.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

    There are many different types of sausages.  The best are
    from the north of England.  The wurst are from Germany.
      -- seen in alt.2eggs...