[Ukfreebsd] "green" HDDs

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 09:05:02 GMT 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Frank Shute wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:04:35AM +0000, tienne wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 05:09:51PM +0000, dgmm wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone used any of the so called "green" or "eco" HDDs?
>>
>> I don't know if you're after saving energy or being really green, but
>> I'd just like to mention that most of the computers or parts that we're
>> using need between 50 to a hundred times more energy to be produced and
>> sent to you than the sum of what they will consume during their whole
>> life. So if you get good reviews of these disks and just want to save a
>> bit of energy, go for them. If you want to be really green and cut the
>> energy cost of your installation, just make your hardware last as much
>> as you can, whatever it consumes.
>
> I agree with your analysis. I can't see the point of these HDDs. HDDs
> are slow at the best of times; one that turns itself off after 8s of
> inactivity sounds like a nightmare, and if you turn off that mode then
> you've defeated any possible power saving. A power saving that's
> pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder how much energy is used in continually spinning up a drive from
standstill to 5400, 7200 RPM or whatever these drives run at? Most of the
energy is used at start-up in overcoming the inertia and accelerating the
platters to their operating speed.

Also this is going to wear the drive out far quicker than one that runs
continually, meaning more frequent drive replacemnts and more energy used
in manufacturing those replacements.

Andy