[Ukfreebsd] "green" HDDs

Étienne ml at magickarpet.org
Tue Jan 11 00:04:35 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 05:09:51PM +0000, dgmm wrote:

> Has anyone used any of the so called "green" or "eco" HDDs?

I don't know if you're after saving energy or being really green, but
I'd just like to mention that most of the computers or parts that we're
using need between 50 to a hundred times more energy to be produced and
sent to you than the sum of what they will consume during their whole
life. So if you get good reviews of these disks and just want to save a
bit of energy, go for them. If you want to be really green and cut the
energy cost of your installation, just make your hardware last as much
as you can, whatever it consumes.

--
Étienne