[Ukfreebsd] "green" HDDs

Darko Arandjelovic darko at nexgenbusiness.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 23:27:08 GMT 2011

I've been using WD 1.5 & 2TB Greens in production/and at home environment over the last year. They are pretty slow for any serious file-serving/database tasks (noticeable performance drop) - however if used to keep disk based snapshots/backups  - they are perfect for it.
We also have a couple of small clients that have 1.5TB WD greens in their Samba servers. As the load is very light (2-3 workstations connected - the server is Atom based 1Gb RAM) - the performance is more than satisfactory.

We have probably bought over 2 dozens of these drives and had one drive failure in the last year.

My two cents at least.

Regards,
Darko