[Ukfreebsd] "green" HDDs

Timothy Baldock tb at entropy.me.uk
Mon Jan 10 18:13:43 GMT 2011

I have been using the WD "Green" hard disks for ages in my fileserver,
though not with ZFS. They are attached to an Areca hardware RAID card in
RAID5 configuration. Currently using 2TB ones, model number WDC
WD20EARS-00MVWB0.

I have never had any issues with the power management funtionality or
performance of these disks, nor any issues using them in this RAID
configuration. This may be a result of using the HW RAID controller
however so YMMV using them with ZFS.

I am also using similar models for backup (WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1) arranged
into a RAID0 array using gstripe/geom. Again, never seen any issues with
the power management. I was seeing around 100MB/s write speed in testing
to this array with 512k gstripe blocksize.

Given the price difference between WD's "Green" and "Black" ranges for
this kind of home application I don't see much wrong with the Green ones.

AFAIK the main difference between the "Green" range and the higher-end
server/workstation grade disks is how quickly they communicate back to
the RAID controller about read/write errors. This is a feature known as
Time-Limited Error Recovery, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery

Thanks,

Timothy