[Ukfreebsd] "green" HDDs

dgmm freebsd01 at dgmm.net
Sun Jan 9 17:09:51 GMT 2011

Has anyone used any of the so called "green" or "eco" HDDs?

I'm seriously considering the HP micro server that's generated so much
interest here recently and thought I'd drop in a few 2TB HDDs.

It's purely for home/personal use, ie dump the CD/DVD collection to it etc.

I'm looking at running FreeBSD using ZFS, 4 HDDs RAIDz with one parity and
booting from USB pendrive or SSD (or maybe just plug the supplied HDD into
the CD port)

Anyway, getting back to the main point, I've come across a few comments in
various places suggesting the "green" or "eco" HDDs might have some problems
in RAID(z) configs due to possible spin down/up and/or showing as not
avalable at inconvenient times.

Has anyone used these drives and have some observations on their use?

Bear with me if any of the above seems a bit basic.  I'm not an admin :-)

--
Dave