[Ukfreebsd] nice little storage server for 112GBP

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 11:30:04 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 10:03:51AM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Not sure what the state of iSCSI targets is on FreeBSD (I know there's
> one in ports), but you might also like to investigate
> http://eldar.aydayev.com/?p=138

I did something similar for a while - I used the GlobalSAN iSCSI
Initiator for OS X, and the NetBSD iSCSI Target on FreeBSD - I exported
a ZFS zvol so that OS X could format the volume as HFS+.

It worked quite well on a gigabit network (make sure you have decent
cables though, as I found out).

The only downside of doing it this way is you wouldn't be able to
restore a full system - doing this requires booting from the install DVD
and pointing the installer at a TM volume, which you can't do if it's on
iSCSI.

James