[Ukfreebsd] nice little storage server for 112GBP

Geoff Fox foxy at old-leigh.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 10:53:30 GMT 2011

On 8 Jan 2011, at 10:01, Mark Blackman wrote:
> he machine shows up in the network, but can't authenticate successfully.
>
> Anyone else got AFP and time machine backups working to a FreeBSD
> box?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

This is all from memory from a year ago, but I hope it helps you.

If you're backing up from Snow Leopard then I don't think it'll work. I had the same problem with Time Machine back ups a year ago to a 'Tiger' Mac. Everything worked when I ran Leopard, but the minute I 'upgraded' to Snow Leopard the back ups ceased the work. It seems that SL can only back up to a L or SL Mac. This is irrespective of whether you can see the back up drive or not.

One option that'll work is to invest in SuperDuper (I didn't). This program backs up to anything.
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Geoff