[Ukfreebsd] nice little storage server for 112GBP

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 07:45:41 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:09:56PM +0000, Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 2 Jan 2011, at 22:52, Ceri Davies wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 05:37:59PM +0000, Dr Joe Karthauser wrote:
> >>
> >> Shame it only takes 4 disks. I've a 5 disk zraid2 here - but the box is too thirsty. I'd love to replace it.
> >
> > Does FreeBSD boot from raidz or raidz2 then?
>
> Yes, but very non-standard install.
>
> In fact, as far as I can tell, the "best practice" procedure for FreeBSD 8
> install has migrated well away from what I'm used to (and away
> from sysinstall as well)
>
> This post summarizes the general idea pretty well.
>
> http://www.b0rken.org/freebsd/zfs.html

That looks pretty similar to what's on the wiki, and is basically what I
did too. I also toyed around with customising a memstick install so that
instead of launching into sysinstall, it ran a shell script that did
everything on this page.

Quite handy for rapidly deploying boxes - just plug in the USB stick,
turn box on, leave to cook for 10 mins.

James