[Ukfreebsd] nice little storage server for 112GBP

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 13:54:05 GMT 2011

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, Bruce Cran wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:09:46 +0000 (GMT)
> andy thomas <andy at time-domain.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Since when has CPU speed been a major issue on fileservers? My main
>> off-site backup server has a 167 MHz CPU (64-bit UltraSPARC) and I've
>> never run into any problems with this - admittedly I'm not likely to
>> as the box is on the end of an ADSL connection.
>
> I have a box with a 533MHz VIA C3 CPU and it can't do more than about
> 2MB/s when scp'ing data: I need to use ftp to transfer data at
> anything near 100Mb.

I suppose it would be an issue if you're transferring files over a fast
100 Mbit/s or a gigabit network. I've just done a test and my Sun E150
with 167 MHz CPU manages 1.7 MBytes/sec when scp'ing files through its 100
Mbit/s network interface to a FreeBSD server on a local gigabit network.
But my external ADSL connection is 3.4 Mbit/s (about 360 KBytes/sec) so
that's fine for what I use it for (remote off-site backups).

cheers & Happy New Year!

Andy