[Ukfreebsd] nice little storage server for 112GBP

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 13:09:46 GMT 2011

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Ceri Davies wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 02:30:11PM +0000, Mark Blackman wrote:

>>> Very nice. Once the VAT has been claimed back that makes it about 80 quid, blooming bargain!
>>>
>>> Is the memory upgradable, do you know?
>>
>> Yes, install guide claims 8GB, as 2 x 4GB ECC DDR3 DIMMs.
>>
>> The CPU is pretty pathetic though, so you don't want to run
>> any climate simulations on it. :)
>
> Better than this thing I'm using at the moment for FreeBSD:
> 	VIA C3 Ezra (800.03-MHz 686-class CPU), 512MB RAM

Since when has CPU speed been a major issue on fileservers? My main
off-site backup server has a 167 MHz CPU (64-bit UltraSPARC) and I've
never run into any problems with this - admittedly I'm not likely to as
the box is on the end of an ADSL connection.

Anyway, thanks for the info about this NAS Mark - that's my son's birthday
present sorted! I've long wanted an excuse to keep him out of my
PowerVaults and Suns...

cheers, Andy