[Ukfreebsd] ZFSv28

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 21:11:49 GMT 2011

On 28 Feb 2011, at 18:59, andy thomas wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Ceri Davies wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:30:16PM +0000, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>>> Where does it go from here though, is it dependent on Oracle or will the FS fork from here?
>>
>> It's already forked in Illumos.
>
> I'm running OpenIndiana 148 (based on Illumos) and there's been some discussion in that camp over whether Illumos & OpenIndiana really can be described as forks or sporks given their parentage.

As it stands at the moment, neither Illumos nor OpenIndiana have the manpower to carry on with things like ZFS. The OI guys are basically just repackaging stuff (and trying to hack out ONNV and hack in Illumos ON) and the Illumos guys are mostly spending what time they have ripping apart ON to remove the bits they don't want and to replace closed libraries...

For now, OI is still quite heavily relying on the bits of OpenSolaris that are still being released... like X!

(I've been involved with OI since before it was officially called OI.)

James