[Ukfreebsd] ZFSv28

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 18:10:00 GMT 2011

On 28 Feb 2011, at 12:35, Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2011, at 12:30, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>
>> Http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-fs&m=129883864621754&w=2
>>
>> Looks like it's finally in, great stuff.
>> Where does it go from here though, is it dependent on Oracle or will the FS fork from here?

I don't think a fork is realistic or a good idea. I suppose it depends whether the CDDL allows that too.

> I wondered that as well. Other than some vague "don't worry about the licensing issue"
>
> ISTR something seemed to suggest Oracle would eventually opensource changes to the OS
> but only long after commercial deployment.

Hmm. They have said that there would be code drops occasionally, usually after a release (they haven't clarified whether that's a GA production-ready release or the S11 Express releases).

Not many are confident of them holding to that, though, based on past performance.

James