[Ukfreebsd] smartos

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 19:35:45 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 03:03:34PM +0100, Nahuel Marisi wrote:
> For those OpenSolaris fans, there's a new distribution based on Illumos around:
> http://smartos.org/
>
> might be more reliable than openindiana, I don't know.

They're essentially the same thing, so reliability doesn't really come
into it, but OI has more userland software available (see the SmartOS
FAQ entry that says "how do I install software?").

OI has all the software that OSol had, plus a few bits updated
(PostgreSQL re-imported, for instance).

But essentially they both use the same Illumos core. oi_151 is going to
have the same KVM features.

James