[Ukfreebsd] Google Summer of Code - Get Paid to Work on Open Source This Summer

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 11:13:01 BST 2011

Hi all,

Evey year Google run something called the Summer of Code, where they
will pay students to work on open-source projects over the Summer
holiday.  If you're not currently a student, then I'm afraid that this
email is of no use to you.

There are many (~175) open source projects participating this year, with
a full list at
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2011
Each project accepts applications from students wanting to work on
particular projects, and then the project and Google work out together
how many students can be taken on this year.  The student will receive
$5000 USD upon completion of the project, with the mentoring
organisation receiving a further $500.

FreeBSD is one of the participating organisations again this year, so
please take a look and see if you are interested in applying to do a
project.  FreeBSD's page is at
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2011/freebsd and there
are a list of possible ideas linked to from there.  While I'd be more
than happy to see UK people apply to work with FreeBSD over the summer,
be sure to also check out the list if there's another mentoring
organisation you'd rather be involved with.  If you are interested in
applying for a FreeBSD project, feel free to contact me directly or
anybody in #freebsd-soc on efnet IRC.

Unfortunately, the timing is a little awkward from a UK education
perspective (we, unlike in the US, have quite a long ungergraduate
Easter break), but it would be very nice to get more UK undergraduate
and postgraduate students involved in GSoC.  Also unfortunately, I've
left it a little late to send this email, and the deadline is the end of
today :(  There's still time to get a proposal in though.

Given that the he deadline for applications is rapidly approaching, so
be sure to take a look at the Google page at
http://www.google-melange.com/ and the mentoring organisation's project
ideas, especially FreeBSD's list :).  Also note that many projects will
accept ideas that are not on their project ideas list, so it's certainly
worth discussing your project ideas with the mentoring organisation if
you have an idea that isn't suggested.

Thanks,

Gavin
(gavin at FreeBD.org)