[Ukfreebsd] Wireless modem+router recommendations?

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Tue Oct 5 11:31:25 BST 2010

Hi all

Wondering whether anyone can offer a recommendation for a decent
wireless ADSL modem plus router.

By decent, I mean something that offers good performance when
transferring files from one network node to another with both stations
wireless. I've got a couple of older routers (Zyxel BT branded, and
Belkin F5D7632), and they both have very poor performance when
transferring files from machine to machine. Downloading from the ADSL
connection is fine (i.e. lots of Mb/s), but the machine to machine file
transfer is around 700k/s. This is across various OS's: FreeBSD, Win XP,
Vista, Windows 7, PS3; and various transfer types: FTP, media streaming,
SMB etc, and both routers.

Most of the reviews I read out there, don't really seem to measure this
aspect too much - they concentrate on how quickly files can transfer
to/from one wireless client to one wired server or via the ADSL port. I
want wireless to wireless transfer.

Thanks

Duncan

PS. Yup, I know to expect half the available bandwidth when in
infrastructure mode.

E: dmlb at dmlb.org
T: +44 1223 864102
M: +44 7775 507130