[Ukfreebsd] FreeBSD on a full ZFS filesystem

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 22:36:43 BST 2010

On 26 May 2010 22:19, James O'Gorman <james at netinertia.co.uk> wrote:
> As it happens, I've just built a new 8.0 server using GPT and ZFS root. Bit fiddly, but it works well, and fully scriptable. My ultimate aim is to modify the memstick image so that I can just plug in, leave to cook for 20 mins and come back to a working system.

That just brings back painful memories of trying to do unattended
installs with answer files on floppies with FreeBSD 5.3 for me! ;)

> Would be interesting to see how many people coming to the meet tomorrow have used ZFS with FreeBSD.

Yes, I've been running with root on ZFS /boot on UFS for a while now
on my dev laptop, but it's running 8.0/i386 with only 2GB of RAM so
prefetch is switched off & I haven't really done any strenuous work on
it. The host I've built today does have 4GB of ram with prefetch
enabled, I'm using this as the test system to see how it works out, if
all is well I will start migrating other hosts over the next couple of
months.

Sevan