[Ukfreebsd] FreeBSD on a full ZFS filesystem

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Wed May 26 22:19:08 BST 2010

On 26 May 2010, at 20:43, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> I was looking around the FreeBSD wiki for info on running with a full
> ZFS filesystem instead of having /boot on a UFS partition, I found
> this guide[1] which is more recent then the one linked at the bottom
> of the ZFSOnRoot[2] wiki article & covers 8.0-RELEASE & how to do
> everything from the fixit environment of the stock install DVD instead
> of going around the houses.
>
> Fairly straightforward stuff, up & running in no time. :)

As it happens, I've just built a new 8.0 server using GPT and ZFS root. Bit fiddly, but it works well, and fully scriptable. My ultimate aim is to modify the memstick image so that I can just plug in, leave to cook for 20 mins and come back to a working system.

I'm also looking at doing a Solaris Live Upgrade-style of updating the system - i.e. clone the root fs, freebsd-update to the clone, then reboot into the clone. (I think manageBE might do this, but I'm looking to do a little more than manageBE already does.)

Would be interesting to see how many people coming to the meet tomorrow have used ZFS with FreeBSD.

James