[Ukfreebsd] BSDcan Slides

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Tue May 25 18:35:12 BST 2010

> clang aspires to be 100% gcc-compatible (or presumably better :-);

...if you havent actually tried clang yet, then I would strongly
recommend giving it a go when you have some time. It is an excellent
compiler, expecially if you are an Objective-C programmer (an awful lot
of work has gone into that part of it). It produces nice code, which is
equivalent in speed to GCC, and also seems to have somewhat better error
checking.

Using it give me the same kind of warm feeling I got when I managed
to get a copy of GCC running under Minix for the first time in 1990
and realising I never had to use ACK again :-) [1]

-pete.

[1] of course the next release of GCC used so much memory that you
couldnt actually compile a file which consisted of the single
line '#include <stdio.h>' in a megabyte of RAM! As that was the
maximum amount of memory on an Atari ST then we all went back to ACK
with heavy hearts, having had a shiny toy snatched away from us :-)