[Ukfreebsd] BSDcan Slides

Robert N. M. Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 24 18:54:39 BST 2010

On 24 May 2010, at 18:24, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> On 22/05/2010 11:46, Robert N. M. Watson wrote:
>> And the toolchain summit:
>>
>>   http://wiki.FreeBSD.org/201005ToolchainSummit
>
> So is it likely that gcc will be removed from FreeBSD 9 base or is it too soon yet?

It's an interesting question, and probably too soon to say. I see a number of steps on the way there:

- clang/llvm mature enough to build and run all parts of the base on well-supported architectures
- improved clang/llvm support for other important architectures (i.e., mips) that we can't do without
- improved support for out-of-tree build chain (i.e., if we remove gcc, and clang/llvm don't do mips, make it easy to use a mips cross-gcc from ports)
- separation of the notion of "our base compiler" from "the compiler we build all ports with"

My hope is that 9.0 will be built using clang/llvm for most of our platforms, but I reasonably expect to see continued use of gcc for some architectures. Another interesting issue is binutils, but there's a less obvious path forward there. I'm not sure if Brooks' slides are up on the DevSummit web site yet, but he had a short talk drawing summarizing the conclusions from the toolchain summit at the main event.

Robert