[Ukfreebsd] knock knock

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Wed May 5 19:15:23 BST 2010

On 5 May 2010, at 01:33, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>>> Cool! though wouldn't you be better off supporting pkgsrc instead of starting from scratch?
>>
>> Several people have said that, but the goal of my Ports system is to create SVR4 datastream packages, which, afaik, pkgsrc doesn't do. It essentially makes it easy to have one host as a build master so you can push .pkg files to all your other hosts. Using the ports tree to install the packages will handle the dependencies too.
> So it's the output format that's an issue?

I guess so. The project started as an internal thing to work because I needed to compile certain things from source (Squid, MySQL, PHP, BIND, etc.) and produce packages I can push to groups of machines to ensure consistency in build and configuration. I also put most of the packages on the Jumpstart server so they installed as part of the build.

A few people from LOSUG expressed interest in the project so I started work to make it public.

James