[Ukfreebsd] opentech - 11th Sept - London

Tim Borgeaud tim at syntheticmoon.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 15:13:19 BST 2010

Mark Blackman wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2010, at 12:08, Sam Smith wrote:
>
>> hey all,
>>
>> Details of this year's OpenTech are below - many of you will
>> be interested in coming along.
>>
>> There's a session on "Modern X" for finding out about things
>> that you heard about a decade ago, but which have radically
>> changed since you last looked at them... If someone wants to
>> offer about 12 minutes on FreeBSD, it would fit in well.
>
> Is FreeBSD radically changed from 10 years ago? :)

In my opinion, one of the best things about FreeBSD is that it hasn't
radically changed in the last 10 years.

There have certainly been significant improvements and, no doubt, some
radical changes to various parts of the system, but I don't see the system
as a whole (including more common or more important third party packages)
as radically different.

One could probably say much the same about most other computer systems. I
wonder how much more turbulence other systems go through? Have Linux,
Solaris, MS Windows changed much?

Tim