[Ukfreebsd] dying DNS

tim matthews tmatthews at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 27 18:16:32 BST 2010

if one reads further down:

"I realize that not everyone has such IPs that are right in mind that
they can use for testing. Further, our DNS servers don't answer
recursive queries from the public, so if you need a DNS server to load
web pages to find out the IP addresses of your ISP's DNS servers, or
Google's DNS service, 4.2.2.2 is probably a good choice. It's also a
compelling choice if you just need to send out a ping to see if you
can reach the Internet, if you don't have IPs you already know like I
do.

However, some people set up 4.2.2.[1-6] as their standard DNS servers.
Don't do this unless you are connected to Level 3. One story I came
across by "chimpoko" is that he called an ISP and they told him to
that 4.2.2.2 is their DNS server."

so, yes, use 4.2.2.2 if you need dns on the fly but don't use 4.2.2.2
as your standard dns server. they would prefer one to use other free
services, like opendns or google dns.

t.