[Ukfreebsd] Julys LOSUG meeting, on a FreeBSD tip

Luke Marsden luke-lists at hybrid-logic.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 22:54:13 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 22:09 +0100, Robert N. M. Watson wrote:
> Neat, the FreeBSD world domination plan continues? :-)

Quite rightly so!

> BTW, the FreeBSD Foundation has just funded a contract to Rui Paulo to complete userspace DTrace support for FreeBSD; up until now we've supported DTrace on the kernel, but not on userspace. I'm not sure we have this news up on our web site yet, but if not, we will soon. Many potential FreeBSD users in the Solaris space had pointed out that this was a critical feature omission ... and they were right :-).

This is great news. My abstract got mangled slightly - we used Dtrace on
Solaris just for filesystem event notification. 'praudit /dev/auditpipe'
does the same job nicely for us on FreeBSD.

Cheers,
Luke Marsden
Hybrid Logic Ltd.

Web: http://www.hybrid-cluster.com/
Hybrid Web Cluster - cloud web hosting based on FreeBSD and ZFS

Mobile: +447791750420