[Ukfreebsd] FreeBSD/EC2 lives!

Luke Marsden luke-lists at hybrid-logic.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 12:04:49 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 11:00 -0800, Colin Percival wrote:
> Thanks to a month of bug fixing and a lot of help from Amazon, FreeBSD
> is now available on EC2

Congratulations Colin, this is absolutely fantastic news! Thank you!!

This is clearly an enormous milestone on the road to a stable FreeBSD 8
AMI which I hope will eventually work in amd64 mode on the large EC2
instances :-)

Is this working with PV net and disk drivers? Presumably to run on EC2
at all (notwithstanding their expensive cluster compute nodes which are
meant for HPC and which do run HVM) it must be in fully PV mode.

We at Hybrid Logic are very happy to provide testing, assistance and any
resources we can muster to help you in this effort. We are building a
cross-cloud PaaS web cluster on top of FreeBSD/ZFS. Having EC2 support
is a big win for us and our clients, so this is really excellent news.
Thank you again.

With stable KVM, Xen HVM and soon Xen PV support, it looks like FreeBSD
in the cloud is truly coming to fruition in 2011. Awesome!

--
Best Regards,
Luke Marsden

Web: http://www.hybrid-cluster.com/