[Ukfreebsd] Notes from yesterdays meeting

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 14:07:09 BST 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> Some of the topics discussed
> Jesse Vincent
> RT
> mod_perl hogging RAM & swap
> Apache process size
> nginx
> python
> flagship products for languages
> django
> VAX
> vms
> clustering openvms
> DECUS
> layer 2 protocol tunneling with OpenBSD
> netgear switches
> LDAP
> LDAP address book support & how broken implementations are
> LdapRW extension for thunderbird
> What languages are thunderbird extensions written in
> Surely you wouldn't implement LDAP support in javascript - actually,
> on further investigation it turns out you do!
> goodness in OpenBSD -current atm: iked(8), ldapd(8), acpi
> improvements, removal of legacy compatibility layers
> ACPI spec documentation http://acpi.info/spec.htm
> Debugging ACPI problem
> ACPI & EFI - *facepalm*
> NetBSD/xen
> Larry Wall
> Perl
> Building IPSec based VPNs with OpenBSD
> vimage vs multiple FIBs
> boot loader comparison (OpenBSD vs FreeBSD)
> netbooting FreeBSD vs netbooting OpenBSD
> Console issues with FreeBSD in the past
> sendmail
> 1600 line init.d script for sendmail in debian!
> Changes to PF config syntax
> Old SPARC kit, dealing with dead nvram batteries
> OpenBSD/kirkwood on github
> crypto offloading support (rng on cpu vs expansion card)
> hifn's antics in the past
> soekris vs alix
> running Openfirmware on alix via corebios
> offloading support on network cards
> misc at openbsd.org
> OpenBSD's malloc
> cisco vs juniper
> juniper olives
> Embarrassing pre SP4 fix list for NT4
> http://web.archive.org/web/20050309015541/http://support.microsoft.com/?id=224792
> ABI compatibility vs on the fly translation

So at what time did you leave if you discussed all this?  I was there for
some of it (sorry I had to leave at 9 as I wasn't feeling too good owing
to a cold coming on, plus still a lot of stuff to fix after Tuesday's
power cut).

Andy

PS I agree about the Debian sendmail script, it's ridiculous but then they
want you to use exim4 don't they? I wrote my own sendmail init for Debian
a couple of weeks ago in 20 lines (runs two instances of sendmail on the
same Debian Lenny box on different IP addresses).