[Ukfreebsd] [UkOpenBSDUsers] August meetup

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 18:12:13 BST 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Owain Ainsworth wrote:

<snip>

>> We currently have a tie,
>> one vote for Paddington
>> &
>> one for central london
>> Anyone else have a preference on location?
>
> I vote paddington. Nice to have a change.

Is this now definite for tomorrow?

Also, a technical question about jails set up under ezjail: the scenario
is a server running FBSD 8.0/amd64 has some jails running on it which are
frequently rsync'd to a second server which acts as a failover. Apparently
this used to work OK (so I'm told) but something happened to the second
server and it was sent away for repair - when it came back all the disks
had been replaced and there was no O/S.

FBSD 8.0 wouldn't install on the repaired server but 8.1 did and it's
working OK and rsyncing the jails over from the other server. But even
though ezjail has been built & installed and the ezjail.cond file copied
over from the other server, executing '/usr/local/etc/ezjail.sh start'
does nothing. The 2 questions I have are:

 	1. is it OK to simply mirror jails from one server to the
 	   other or do I have to actually use ezjail-admin to install,
 	   update & create the empty jails first and then mirror them
 	   afterwards?

 	2. is the FBSD version mismatch likely to be an issue? I
 	   know I can create FBSD 8.0 jails on a 8.1 host but I'm not
 	   sure if this is why the jails are not starting on the
 	   backup server.

The jails are all under /home/jails by the way and as you can see I'm new
to ezjail.

Andy