[Ukfreebsd] opentech - 11th Sept - London

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Sun Aug 1 09:39:22 BST 2010

On 31 Jul 2010, at 12:24, Robert Watson wrote:

[ lots of good summary ]

> Surely there are many more areas, as well, that I've missed in the above list.
> I think it's safe to say that the world is exactly the same as ten years ago,
> only also entirely different!

I'd say that's a case of lots of evolutionary changes starting to add up to
radical change. In any case, I'm sure one could easily take Robert's great
list of points and turn that into a talk with very little effort. Maybe he's
volunteering! :)

Mostly I was saying, FreeBSD is keeping up with everyone and "Modern" FreeBSD
is recognisably different to FreeBSD 2000 once you get past basic sysadmin jobs
and start running applications, but radical isn't the word that comes
to mind for me if you're comparing to the FreeBSD 4 series, but is probably
appropriate compared to FreeBSD 3 which was a little more like the deployed
versions in 2000, even if 4 was available.

I'm happily running FreeBSD 4 jails, merely because they're not doing a bad enough
job to justify the effort of migrating to FreeBSD 8.

Cheers,
Mark