[Ukfreebsd] knock knock

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 22:11:54 BST 2010

On 29 Apr 2010, at 06:07, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> On 28/04/2010 18:38, James O'Gorman wrote:
>> It was sort of interesting, but it really showed the shortcomings of
>> AI in OpenSolaris compared to Jumpstart in Solaris. Even basic things
>> like finish scripts aren't there; for now you have to create a custom
>> IPS package which runs its own scripts and push the package to a
>> custom repository. Much more work than just adding a finish script!
>
> Is it capable of doing anything clever or it is it still too early?

This is getting a little off-topic for this list now, but no, AI doesn't do anything clever... at all. Jumpstart is still superior in every way, imo.

>> I'll see if I can find some time to write the talk then. One
>> side-project I'm working on at the moment is a version of the Ports
>> tree for Solaris, which several people seem keen on.
>
> Cool! though wouldn't you be better off supporting pkgsrc instead of starting from scratch?

Several people have said that, but the goal of my Ports system is to create SVR4 datastream packages, which, afaik, pkgsrc doesn't do. It essentially makes it easy to have one host as a build master so you can push .pkg files to all your other hosts. Using the ports tree to install the packages will handle the dependencies too.

I really like the way the FreeBSD Ports system works, and needed more FreeBSD-ness in my otherwise Solaris world at work :-)

James